My experience with this is....

the default ADMINISTRATOR can be locked out (wait before shouting!)
what I mean is that if you have a lockout threshold of lets say 5, the
lockoutTime attribute will show the lockout date and time the account was
locked. In ADUC (using another custom admin account for example) you will see
the default ADMINISTRATOR is locked.... you will even see and event ID 644
mentioning the account lockout

HOWEVER.... here it comes...

while the default ADMINISTRATOR is locked, it will unlocked automatically by
the SYSTEM (DC) AS SOON AS the correct password is used (even before it is
unlocked after the unlock period)

jorge

Met vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,
Ing. Jorge de Almeida Pinto
Senior Infrastructure Consultant
MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

LogicaCMG Nederland B.V. (BU RTINC Eindhoven)
(   Tel     : +31-(0)40-29.57.777
(   Mobile : +31-(0)6-26.26.62.80
*   E-mail : <see sender address>