That's what Microsoft recommends... from the whitepaper Best Practices for Delegating Active Directory Administration, Appendix A:

Rename a computer account

WP [Write Property] on the computer object to modify all attributes

NOTE: User performing operation must be a Local Administrator on the computer being renamed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Clay, Justin (ITS)
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:33 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Rights Required to Rename Computer Objects

I posted about this a week or so ago and I didn’t see a response, but can anyone tell me what specific rights are needed to allow someone to rename a computer attached to an AD domain? Read and Write all Properties works but that’s a bit excessive I think.

Thanks,

Justin Clay
ITS Enterprise Services
Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County
Howard School Building

Phone: (615) 880-2573

ITS ENTERPRISE SERVICES EMAIL NOTICE

The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.