-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Bradley,
CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 6:52 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] 64bit Windows

You haven't met beancounter apps have you?  Many of them will not
function.

Yes, it's a big deal.

When even Microsoft's own ISA 2004 doesn't have a released 64 bit client

released for a 64 bit Windows and you have to set them up as securenat
clients..... adoption by vendors has not occurred.

Grillenmeier, Guido wrote:

> /Renaming the thead due to change of focus topic/
>
> I've been doing quite a bit with my own 64bit notebook (using WinXP
> x64) in the past few weeks and I do have to say that there are plenty
> of little surprises. Many of which don't play a role for servers,
> which are used with a much lesser range of applications and drivers
> (usually no issues with high res video; WLAN; bluetooth etc.).  I was
> actually more successful to get the right drivers for WinXPx64 than
> for VISTAx64, which is why I stuck with WinXP for now (this will
> change soon, as Vendors pick up their support for Vista and any driver

> will have to be available as 32 and 64bit to be Vista ready).
>
> But it's not only drivers, it's also some 32bit applications that -
> although they don't have a driver dependency (which must all be
> 64bit) - simply refuse to run in the WOW64 instance (a 32-bit Windows
> instance on in a Win x64 OS).  Have to say that the most important
> 32bit apps (such as MS Office 2003) and naturally all 64bit apps do
> run though without issues. And I can work around most of the other
> 32-bit problems by leveraging a 32-bit WinXP VM on the same box (not
> ideal, but better than two machines).
>
> So a lot of testing is required either for deployment of 64-bit
> clients (which I'd rather do with Vista when released) or even with
> 64-bit Terminal Servers that are used to host office applications for
> users (generally a great idea, as you have plenty of more virtual
> memory available for hosting many more users per TS).
>
> See my other note on 64-bit for DCs in the "Raid 1 tangent -- Vendor
> Domain" thread with many more details on the difference of memory
> handling between the two worlds. 64bit is certainly the right way to
> go for most larger AD deployments.
>

> I'd love to hear about other's experience with 64-bit Windows - how
> are you leveraging it and what were the problems you've been running
> into...?
> What were your solutions or workarounds?
>

> /Guido

Hargraves

http://blogs.technet.com/efleis/archive/2006/06/08/434255.aspx