So basically it sounds like you need a technically savvy person who has very good understanding of AD, but is going to come back to you with any concerns about a design direction that you've come up with instead of going through and revamping it completely... 'basic user' or 'admins'... ROFLMAO....  Schema updates are uncommon enough to where nobody really needs that level of access on a day-to-day basis.

My description of a technical lead was because I've run into companies where they expect their manager for the IT department to basically be the 3rd/4th level of support for problems.  They expect the manager to do the 'heavy lifting' on the technical side of things and basically be a technical lead *and* a manager.  I tend to agree that running into someone who can do both is like finding a roc's tooth.  They're out there, just few and far between.