Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Oddly enough, it's somewhere on MS's site, though my 5-8 queries never came up with it (the wonderful joys of searching on microsoft.com).  Now I can give them 2 options.... separate forest with a 1-way trust or a subdomain (since there really isn't a difference between a separate tree and a subdomain).

On 7/24/06, Steve Linehan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I believe that the documentation that you are looking for that describes these transitive trusts and the inability to alter them is contained here:

From: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/f5c70774-25cd-4481-8b7a-3d65c86e69b11033.mspx

Automatic Trusts

By default, two-way transitive trusts are automatically created when a new domain is added to a domain tree or forest root domain by using the Active Directory Installation Wizard. The two default trust types are parent-child trusts and tree-root trusts.

Parent-child trust

A parent-child trust relationship is established whenever a new domain is created in a tree. The Active Directory installation process automatically creates a trust relationship between the new domain and the domain that immediately precedes it in the namespace hierarchy (for example, corp.tailspintoys.com is created as the child of tailspintoys.com). The parent-child trust relationship has the following characteristics:

*        It can exist only between two domains in the same tree and namespace.

*        The parent domain is always trusted by the child domain.

*        It must be transitive and two-way. The bidirectional nature of transitive trust relationships allows the global directory information in Active Directory to replicate throughout the hierarchy.

Tree-root trust

A tree-root trust is established when you add a new domain tree to a forest. The Active Directory installation process automatically creates a trust relationship between the domain you are creating (the new tree root) and the forest root domain. A tree-root trust relationship has the following restrictions:

*        It can be established only between the roots of two trees in the same forest.

*        It must be transitive and two-way.

Thanks,

-Steve