From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Mulnick
Sent: 24 July 2006 15:41
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] OT: Interview Techniques

I have to laugh.  This thread is starting to sound like the six blind men describing an elephant.

As was mentioned, it is very hard to find somebody who can do the high-level design at all 8 layers, manage a staff of people, and still fit that into a 23 hour day. If you find one, keep him or her. If you don't find one, don't be terribly disappointed; look for one that's close and has the right personality to be made into one. There's plenty more of those, but be sure you're ready to keep him/her later because there are others looking for that type of person :)

FWIW, I think interviewing wtih Brian might be a laugh.  Can you answer all the questions?  Nope.  Not every one. But you can still enjoy it and I think Neil was wise enough to mention that, "no, I don't know it all but I do know how to use a book" :)  (ok, so I paraphrased.  The point is that you use it or lose it.  But knowing what questions to ask and where to find the answers is far more resilient than knowing everything there is to know about a product set on a given day.  Most of the players on the team that wrote the application or product don't know either.  But they do know where to go for the answers....)

One thing that does come to mind would be to follow Brian's advice and ask open ended questions.  Those are going to be the hardest because you're not going to be able to study for that. You'll have to walk through it under the pressure of an interview.  That will tell the interviewer a lot about the person and what they would do 6 months from now when the technology is totally different and how they would deal with your unique situations.

Best of luck in you hiring endeavors. I for one am interested to hear a follow up in a few months to hear how it went.

Al