Couple of things to get you started down the right path:
1) ldap is not an authentication protocol.  Remember that as there will be a test later.
2) NTDSUTIL is not the tool to test with.  LDP.EXE or one of the joeware tools might be better. There are several freeware tools that are also out there, but I've found that LDP is one of the easiest for a GUI based tool.
3) There are RFC's, books, websites, etc.  What have you read so far and what types of questions does that lead you to? What I'm looking for is what aspect of LDAP you're wanting to follow.  The field is wide, and we may need to narrow it down a bit to save time.

Also, can you describe the problems that you see?  I mean, some details would be helpful.  What language it's written in, how it was configured, what problem you see vs. what you expect to see, etc. would be really helpful.  LDAP, in it's native state is not going to just pick a server out of a hat.  Instead, it can either be told which server to use else use root dse (see RFC 2251 for explanation but basically it's a way to use name resolution to find directory servers.) Using root dse methods might make ldap seem less predictable in some cases.

Al