Thanks to all for the helpful  feedback so far.

  1. Great, I’ll look at changing the Everyone to down to READ and perhaps pursue the Authenticated Users as well.
  2. Yes, we’re currently only replicating the hierarchy of shares and not doing file-replication.  Our few tests of file replication a long time ago did not go very well so we’ve never pursued it since.
  3. I glanced over the improvements in R2 and it certainly makes sense to upgrade.  Is it possible to upgrade/migrate or does it require building a new root.  Here is our we are setup.

We currently have 5 DC’s.

DC3 is the sole Win2000 SP4 and houses only DFS root we have:  \\tcu.edu\dfs1  There is no replication of the root structure at the moment.

DC4 through DC7 are Win2003 SP1

All of our users and processes reference that root path (e.g. \\tcu.edu\dfs1\sharename) and changing the name would be a nightmare.  Maximum downtime would probably be 48-72 if the new root couldn’t be brought up with the same name simultaneously on another DC.

Upgrading DC3 is potentially an option, however it is much older hardware.

Bryan Lucas

Server Administrator

Texas Christian University