I'm curious what, if anything, anyone else is doing to use some sort of
federated system so that user management is left at the hands of the
third-party companies.  I'm curious also if anyone is aware of any
consulting groups that have done this sort of thing w/ an agnostic approach
that can fit most environments.  I'd love to get an idea of where the
industry is heading with this sort of thing.  I'm sure the topic probably
came up at DEC which I didn't have the luxury of attending.

Not sure if I understand what you're getting at here, but in terms of
pure user account management, we tend to create a separate OU for the
external company, and delegate control of it to one of their more
clueful bods.

If you're managing citrix servers, you can do the above and give them
a custom task pad without having to give them access to log on
interactively or manage services or suchlike.

--
AdamT
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not