If you do it that way, I would make sure you’ve got the network cable unplugged when you boot it after imaging.  Depending on what you are using the server for it could cause problems.

I had a customer follow this path with a domain controller.  He booted the server from the old drives after copying the image to the new drive set, and then booted it from the new drives.  Active Directory considered this an abnormal USN rollback, and gave him all kinds of fits.  It took me at least an hour getting replication working again.  Don’t plug the network cable back in until you are sure you have the server ready to go.

Kevin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Blair, James
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:52 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: HP disk array expansion

James,

Have been in a similar situation on numerous occasions with HP ML350 G3/G4’s. In our case we installed a firewire card and a Lacie drive or utilised the native USB to portable HD and Acronis True Image. We imaged the disks and then pulled them out and put the new ones in and imaged it back, works nicely…This solution even worked for an Exchange server and if it all fails you can simply put the old disks back in and be back where you started…

James