If the unit is this strongly separated from the rest of your forest and you have little dependencies on apps, this should be a fairly easy / straight forward migration. You should be able to achieve all steps with ADMT:

The re-ACLing (= security translation) is actually a very straight forward process – this is how I would go at it:

1.    Create some test accounts in source domain that you put into group used by the users to be migrated

a.    Log on to a few test clients in source domain so as to create user source domain profiles (make some changes so that you can differentiate the profile from a default profile)

2.    Migrate the units groups and users, but leave the users in the target domain disabled (except for some of the test-users)

a.    Users still logon to source domain

3.    With the trusts between source and target still in place, migrate the resources (servers)

a.    Users still logon to source domain and access resources across trust, using SIDs from source domain

4.    Perform 1st security translation on all resources (servers)

a.    Choose to ADD permissions

b.    Users still logon to source domain and access resources across trust, using SIDs from source domain

c.    Logon to a test computer in target domain with some of your test-accounts and check they also have access to servers (now using SIDs from target domain)

d.    If everything works, you are ready for activation of the target user accounts – ideally the next two steps would be coordinated that you only enable the users whose workstations you are migrating at the time (but often difficult to match user to workstation…)

5.    Perform security translation AND profile updates on all workstations in unit – again, use ADD permissions

a.    I personally prefer to do this prior to enabling the users and prior to migrating the computers – this way this step can be performed in the “background” without any direct impact on the users

b.    This also allows you (or them) to monitor how well they can reach their clients, check access issues etc.

c.    Ensure that the computer updates – especially profile updates – have worked by using some of your test accounts on clients in the source domain: let them logon with the target domain’s account => they should at this point get the same user profile as before AND have access to the target servers

6.    Once a critical mass of computers has been updated, you are ready to enable your users in the target domain

7.    Now migrate the computers to target domain (those, where security translation has already been performed successfully)

a.    At this time there will be an impact to the users, since machines need to be rebooted – which is why you should communicate these activities to your users prior to performing this step

b.    After the computer migration, ADMT will have changed the default logon domain to the target domain

c.    Users will now logon to the target domain and access resources with the new SIDs

d.    Add extra time for troubleshooting and fixing access issues…

8.    After all computers have been migrated, and all users of the unit logon to the target domain, you are ready to do the cleanup steps

a.    Cut the trusts between the domains (if this is what you want to achieve)

b.    Perform another security translation on all resources (servers and workstations) in the target domain => this time choose the REPLACE option

9.    Done – enjoy some champagne…

/Guido