I assume you are using WINS and the DCs of child and parent domains are registered there. Therefore the netbios names are resolving.

What happens when you try to ping the FQDN of the child domain server? Does that work? I think your issue is you want the child domain suffix to be appended automatically. My understanding is that it doesnt happen by default. However the reverse is true. If you are in a child domain and ping or attempt to resolve a name, it tries its own domain suffix before attempting to append the parent domain suffixes. This is true as long as you havent disabled the default behaviour, havent modified this through GPOs etc...

You can also specify a list of search suffixes to go through in a certain order if you wish.

M@