Thanks Dean. I didnt quite understand your explanation of the tokens for the dhcp client service. If it works for a subset of records, why not for all?

Anyways, I tried repro'ing. The 1st time I tried none of your recommendations worked other than ipconfig /registerdns. I deleted the zone on parent and recreated a secure update zone and rebooted the DC. None of the records were registered and all were rejected according to the network trace. restarting dhcp client fixed it this time even though it didnt before. Once the box was up, I deleted the zone and restarted dhcpclient. Did the "A" record but not the SRV records (excluding the ones beneath _msdcs which was in a different zone and I didnt clean them up). Restarting netlogon fixed that. So looks ike a combination of both restarting netlogon and dhcpclient is required. Then deleted and recreated zone, restarted client DC. All DDNS update records were refused. restarting dhcpclient was also not working with all records refused. After a while some of the records appeared minus the "A" record. Restarted dhcpclient again and the "A" record appeared.

However hosting the child domain's zone on the child dc doesnt seem to cause any issues.

I know whats required to to fix it. Thanks for the further clarification. Just would have been nice to see some consistency in the results.

M@