Yeah I know where you are coming from Darren but absolutely can't say it is ok because I do not believe it is ok at all. I think saying it is ok or that it is understandable will relax people about it and people absolutely should not be relaxed about it or feel that they can't do anything about it and that it isn't their responsibility to try and get corrected. It is a very bad thing and they need to always have that spectre over them where they know it. That helps, I think, in making it so it isn't a surprise when something inevitably screws up and no one can sit there saying, wow, I had no idea it was that bad of a thing. People need to be working towards locking down their environment every moment and looking for bad things and removing them every second. It is a long slow climb uphill but if the work isn't done, it will never happen until maybe, hopefully not, something absolutely blows and everyone has to jump and try to figure out how to do it in one fell swoop.

I saw the same logic of  "the people really don't know what they can do"... used for running an Enterprise Data Center back in 1999 and this was with hundreds of NT servers and many domains and application owners were just given admin rights over all of these boxes and it was status quo; none of the people had a clue what kind of rights they had and figured anything bad they were actually protected from doing because it would be stupid to let them be able to do something bad.... Everyone said it was fine and didn't cause issues until I came in and started looking at it and got sick of running around working on stupid preventable stuff so started making sure every issue was reported and floated up. While it made me and my group look bad initially because the availability of the servers appeared to have plummetted from where it was before, it was only that it appeared that way because we actually reported the problems where the previous folks hid everything under the carpet and that slowly became apparent. It slowly gave us the permission to fix stupid things that the previous group said was impossible to get changed. It was a lot of hard work but by the end of it, things actually did run well and stable. I know probably better than most the politics and the outright pain and difficulty involved because I lived through 80 and 100+ hour weeks of it in a very high pressure Fortune 5 environment where I had plant managers and VPs of manufacturing who had no problem screaming at me but I also realize the huge benefits you get out of that work and I think any admins who are serious about doing a good job will keep it up and keep trying to fight the good fight. In the long run, they will look better for it, the company will be better off, and their lives, if they stick around for the benefits will be easier. Folks who don't point out the bad things when they see them and push for better solutions aren't doing any favors for their employers, they are taking the easy route and it is counterproductive long term.

I don't do it so much for myself and the long term benefits for me as I never seemed to stay in the positions to benefit for longer than 3-4 years before I ran off and dived into another mess but instead do it because I think that is what my job description as an Admin is. To do the absolute best job I know how to do and work towards making the best environment I can visualize. If luck is a component of the security model or the recovery model or the admin model, I don't consider that to be very good and I know you Darren don't either. You are just nicer than I am in saying it. :)

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Darren Mar-Elia
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 7:06 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Revoke domain administrator's right to create GPO?

<not an argument for implementing bad security>I think we all know how bad it is to have hoards of DAs. We also know that it is the reality in many large and small orgs. and we also know that it is sometimes unavoidable for purely non-technical reasons. The bottom line is that many of those DAs probably don't know how to undo something that you take away from them, so security by obscurity, while pretty awful, sometimes actually works.
</not an argument for implementing bad security>