Sorry, I should have put everything together by subject before responding before.

My experiences range pretty widely with how much the DIT will grow with the inclusion of Exchange. Again, it depends entirely on what is already there and what it will end up with for the GAL. One experience had a GC DIT of about 900MB or so for 250,000 users, at least that many machines, about 100k groups (No DLs, all Security, non were Exchange enabled) or so go to somewhere around 6-8GB after the Exchange data population. Some other experiences were with small numbers of people (relative to forest size) actually getting Exchange enabled so the growth was measured in a couple of hundred MB.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Hargraves
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 4:46 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Exchange rollout - How much larger does NTDS.DIT become?

I'm not sure what else he's running on his DC.  He might be running complex intrusion detection software, DNS, WINS, etc....

I have to assume that he's got 4GB worth of RAM and plenty of 'crap' (ok, maybe not crap, but you know what I'm saying) running on the DC that I'm sure plenty of us would love to see running on a different box.

The "1.25GB" comment wasn't regarding any limitations to 32-bit Windows.  It was more involving "I seriously doubt that your DIT is going to double in size unless you're populating as few as possible fields and have like 3 groups per user" than anything.

You made a comment about him having a large environment with 100k+ users to have a 650MB DIT and I just kinda went "Huh?" because we're running a 3+GB DIT with just over half that number.  Every environment is completely different and there are a lot of different things that impact the DIT outside of user count.  Groups, GPOs, OUs, computer objects etc.... user count might be a reasonable guage, but I don't think that ~6k DIT per user object is a reasonable assumption unless it's a newer environment with a nice spanking new RBS model.