Such links are removed by the phantom cleanup task, which is run by the infrastructure master in the domain where your group lives. Make sure IM is placed on a non-GC machine (it can’t run otherwise). IM is set up to do a cleanup run once every 12 hours, iirc. You can trigger it manually via a rootDSE mod (checkPhantoms=1) on the IM holder.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Presley, Steven
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 6:18 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] memberOf and member link breaking

I have seen this a few times now (Windows 2003 Sp1) where someone will remove a user from a distribution group and it will update the memberOf attribute of the user, but not the member attribute of the group.  The user object is in a different domain then the group if that matters.  It does not appear to be replication related as things are replicating just fine in my testing.  Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions on what it might be?

When looking at the group’s membership list in ADUC, the icon of the unlinked user object that is listed on the members tab is actually kind of grayed out, but I’m sure I could just manually delete it, but I’d like to find out what is causing this and fix it.  Any suggestions would be awesome.

Best regards,

Steven