I have. When bulk-patching NT 4 servers several died (OS was trashed, not the h/w) and had to be restored from the backup the night before.

There was that issue where the patch wrote ntoskrnl beyond the 7.8 GB section of the disk, although that hit workstations more than servers as they'd been build from images and had bigger disks than NT 4 boot loader could cope with <g>.

--Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] FMSO roles split, patch question.

As a person who tests/patches a bunch of single DCs.... I've never seen a "patch" kill a server.

Driver update may and has, yes.
Impair functionality of the server, yes.

But kill it completely? Microsoft tests patches ahead of time and they would find ahead of time if basic functionality of a DC would be nailed.

But if the server dies... it was probably on the emergency list prior to patching. Rebooting the box first ensures that you find these 'hospital bound' servers.

Almeida Pinto, Jorge de wrote:
the reason is that is a DC dies during the patching you do not have to seize the roles....IMHO, I prefer transfering over seizing
 Met vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,
Ing. Jorge de Almeida Pinto
Senior Infrastructure Consultant
MVP Windows Server - Directory Services
 LogicaCMG Nederland B.V. (BU RTINC Eindhoven)
(   Tel     : +31-(0)40-29.57.777
(   Mobile : +31-(0)6-26.26.62.80
*   E-mail : <see sender address>