Hello Brett,

The pb was that one disk in my raid5 was corrupted. So i changed the disk and i checked that my raid 5 was OK via dell open manager.
But when restarting the DC,it shows a windows popup stated an error in lssass.exe and that i have to boot in dsrm mode. When i clicked ok , my DC reboots again and that scenario never ends up untill i boot in dsrm mode !!
When logging in dsrm mode, there was only the ntds.dit and the Edb*.log only, no edb.chk !!
So i  restored system state but when the restore finished, there was no still edb.chk created in dsrm mode:  a sematic checker shows a jet error stated that no transaction logs was found.
So i had 2 options:
1) restore ntds.dit, edb.chk, Edb*.log,Res1.log and Res2.log from my last full backup. This backup was done 5 days ago.
2) and i last force a demotion via ntdsutil and delete all dns registrations,frs subscriptions, ad objects that points to this DC.

So i choose 1) and that works fine ....  I was lucky !!

Brett, is there any MS documentations stated that this type of "dirty" restoration is unsupported ? I have not found any clue in ms technet.
And in my situation, what would you have done ?
Would the 2) be the best and supported solution than 1) ?

Thanks for advice.

Yann

Brett Shirley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :
BTW, if you have snapshot based backup you _can_ backup and just restore
only the AD data (dit, log, and chk), and it will work w/o USN rollback
correctly. We used to run quick tests like that all the time, but ONLY
validated that the DS / AD didn't break. That doesn't make it supported.
BTW, it is in fact _not supported_.

There are an unknown # of components (AD itself, SAM, LSA, Kerberos, NTLM,
AuthZ, etc ... just about anything DS or security related) that may have a
dependency on some random part of AD and some random part of Registry data
staying in sync ... we don't know what breaks when you restore one w/o the
other ... this is why it is unsupported ... and almost completely untested
... but why let that dissuade you, you're a pioneer right. ;)

The most obvious case of this, would be if you restored a DIT from one
domain, to the DIT folder for a DC in another domain, replacing it's DIT.
Would that work, almost guaranteed there would be security issues.
That's of course the extreme case, and one easy to avoid, we don't know
the inbetween cases.

Cheers,
-BrettSh [msft]