Hello Bob,

-Buy the new server
-Install W2K3 SP1 + Full update
-dcpromo to the domain
-Transfer all 5 FSMO roles to this new server
-Make this new server Global catalog
-Checkup DNS, DHCP if applicable
-Wait for replication

Then you should poweroff the old one to be sure everything is ok.

If ok,
-power on the old one
-dcpromo the old one (and NO, It's not the last of the domain)
-power off

You should always have at least 2 DC and 2 global catalog.

When all DC are W2K3, you can raise the forest and domain to native
W2K3

 my 2 cents

Regards,
Mathieu CHATEAU