Hello ActiveDir,

I know this is out of topic, but it I think this is a non common issue
to know about.

I just came across a bug on ntfs.sys. It made chkdsk reporting many
errors on security descriptors like this:
----
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 1396371.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 1396372.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 1429033.
Fixing mirror copy of the security descriptors data stream.
Security descriptor verification completed.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
----
At the beginning I just thought about data corruption. I just opened a
call to pss to get the good way to handle it (it's on a MSCS cluster).

In fact, this is a ntfs.sys bug, that should raise with 4 Millions of
File or an MFT of 4GB. We have 1,6 Millions of files.

original: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;913034
The Chkdsk.exe utility incorrectly identifies and resets security descriptors
in Windows Server 2003

New one: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;915691
FIX: The system stops responding during high disk activity on a computer that
is running Windows Server 2003

the last version of ntfs.sys is 5.2.3790.2655
MS gave us an internal tool get trough this SD issue.

You can read the full story on my blog: http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com

Regards,
Mathieu CHATEAU
http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com