To be clear as your comments don’t seem to indicate the “why” as much as Nathan’s did, we were less interested in the bandwidth savings and more interested in the accuracy of the list. Non-LVR link values have a value loss potential on conflicted write across DCs.

~Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Grillenmeier, Guido
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 5:40 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Read-Only Domain Controller and Server Core

> RODCs require Win2k03 FFM. This is so that we can guarantee a higher degree

> of accuracy for the password reveal list (msDS-RevealedUsers and the constructed

> version msDS-RevealedList) due to LVR

Been thinking more about the requirement for the Windows Server 2003 Forest Functional Level (FFL2) to deploy RODCs…  It certainly makes sense to leverage LVR (linked value replication) to reduce the amount of data being replicated around and to eliminate the “5000” values replication limit due to the limit of the jet-db version store.

Just wondering how many companies are still running a pure Win2000 AD forest and want to upgrade directly to Longhorn (skipping deployment of Windows Server 2003 DCs)?  Do they realize that they will not be able to deploy RODCs prior to first upgrading or replacing ALL Win2000 DCs in the forest with writeable Longhorn DCs?

They will then be able to switch to FFL3 (Longhorn Server) and in a second phase of the upgrade project they can take care of deploying RODCs.  And since you can’t just switch the mode of a writeable DC to an RODC (and vice versa), this usually means to de-promote the writeable LH DCs and then to re-promote them as RODCs (where you want them – for example you’ll still want writeable DCs in your hub sites). Naturally this de-promo and re-promo process can be scripted, but it’s still an extra phase in the project that takes time and efforts and must be planned appropriately.

Companies who have already upgraded to Win2003 and are running at Win2003 FFL will have less of an issue – they will be able to deploy RODCs right into their existing Win2003 forests. The PDC of the respective domain must run Longhorn, but that’s a small price to pay.

So, it would be good to get some feedback from this list,

A. how many of you are planning to upgrade your AD directly from Win2000 to Longhorn Server?

B. how many are planning to upgrade from Windows2003 FFL?

C. how many think they are still in-between (have Win2003 AD, but couldn’t yet reach Win2003 FFL for some reason, such as some Win2000 or WinNT DCs still hanging around)?

Thanks,

Guido