Product Documentation for Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/productdoc/default.mspx

Read this one in particular:
Download details: Introduction to Windows SBS 2003 for Enterprise IT Pros:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=71211053-ccd6-4f2b-bbd9-5e7b97c232ec&displaylang=en

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
Can they share calendars?
Can they book appointments in each others calendars?
Got a 'Sharepoint"?

Got the ability to remotely get back to that XP pro desktop over a 443 port without vpn and it's overhead, potential risks and setups as well?

Even with 'hosted' email at an ISP, SBS makes sense. Now I would be remiss if I did not point out Windows Live as a possible collaborative platform as well which comes out of beta in October is what I've heard.

But truly .. SBS make sense in this space because while you don't think they need the functionality.. people can change and grow with that functionality.

Step one... go to Handy Andy's site and click on his step by step SBS how to (pictures and everything) at www.sbs-rocks.com

There are three books .. any of the three make a good choice and honestly I've written for two, edited on one.

Are there any potential for Macintosh's in this network? If so get SBS Unleashed by Eriq Neale as he's our Mac/SBS guy.

Want to know more about R2? SBS 2003 r2 administrator's companion by Charlie Russel.

Basic beginner to mid - start with the SBS 2003 best practices by Harry Brelsford and then follow up with the Advanced book. (www.smbnation.com)

Where are you located as we have SBS user/partner groups all over.

Step two:

Upgrade those XP homes to Pro. While you can trick those puppies with pass thru authentication, as you stated they cannot join a domain. I love ad/domains so much I hack up MCE's to join mine at home.

Step three:

Follow the blog www.msmvps.com/bradley and please holler if you have ANY questions.

We are quite proud of our newsgroups and they are quite active and healthy. Get a nntp newsreader and point to the msnews.microsoft.com server and find microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

There are also partner resources at www.microsoft.com/partner and then there's the best IT podcast around for small biz at http://blogs.technet.com/sbs and then if you want to get more into the 'managed services'/small biz world check out the podcasts at www.sbsshow.com

Are you an Enterprise guy coming down to SBS? As we say SBS can drive you to drink if you are used to setting up everything by hand. The "my business OU" is annoying to most but we say leave it alone...set up your own We also say set it up three times.. once to screw it up..once to go "oh!", and the last to do it right. Let the wizards set up the AD and what not... we never use works like dcpromo unless we are

1.  Bringing an SBS box into an existing domain or
2. Migrating from a flavor of SBS or server to a SBS domain and doing a process that uses seizing FSMO roles to maintain that AD structure as we rip it from one server to the ultimate SBS domain.
Does this help?

Daniel Gilbert wrote:
Susan,

Can you suggest a good "ID 10 T's guide to SBS 2003" book?  I assume
from your e-mail address you know more than the average SA about SBS. Shameless request for information. And being the SBS NOOB that I am
looking for any information I can get my hands on to provide my
customer with the best product for their limited budget.

I support a small office (eight users) and their workload and data
storage requirements are such that they really should get a real
server.

I am trying to decide if I suggest they purchase a server with SBS 2003
or a server with Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard edition.  I know there
is a cost difference with SBS 2003 being cheaper.  But, I do not think
they need all of the functionality that comes with SBS.  Their mail is
hosted with a comeericial ISP.  Their office is a mix of XP Home and XP
Pro.  I know the XP Pros can join a domain but the XP Homes can not.

Dan

--
Letting your vendors set your risk analysis these days? http://www.threatcode.com

If you are a SBSer and you don't subscribe to the SBS Blog... man ... I will
hunt you down...
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs