Agree, isolating by site is often confused with requiring a separate subnet and thus extra efforts on the networking infrastructure. That’s actually not the case.  You can create your AD site and just assign it a 32bit masked IP address as the subnet – if the other sites are properly configured, this will ensure that no client will try to leverage the DC in this special site.

Realize that a separate site doesn’t take care of the generic DC lookups performed by clients (e.g. when they join the domain or when all DCs in their site fail) – however, adjusting the priorities in DNS and configuring the DNS mnemonics appropriately for the DC in the special site will also take care of this extra challenge (should be described in the Exchange Server Site doc for which Brian previously provided the link).

/Guido

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Hargraves
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:26 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Isolating a DC

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound so negative.... it just seems like isolating by site (which is a logical, not physical barrier) is a more holistic solution which provides the isolation required, while allowing the DCs to continue to potentially (in an emergency situation) perform the duties of user authentication without having to change anything.

The IPSec solution just seems like serious overkill that's unnecessary.