You could also turn up additional logging which would give more details as to
what the internal error is.  I would suggest starting with the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Diagnostics

1. Locate the "5 Replication Events" value under the above key.
2. On the Edit menu, click DWORD, type 4, and then click OK.
3. Locate the "9 Internal Processing" value under the same key.
4. On the Edit menu, click DWORD, type 1, and then click OK.

After you do this post the full event text for the error and any additional
replication or internal processing errors.  I would expect to get back an
Exception value with parameters and an internal id.  These can be used to
determine what is causing the problem.  To answer your original question the
tombstoned object will only be removed once the tombstone lifetime is reached
and garbage collection has run.  I would not recommend changing the tombstone
lifetime to correct this as it is forest wide and can lead to more serious
problems than you currently have.  We should be able to determine the cause of
the internal error and correct it without taking such risky and drastic
measures.

Thanks,

-Steve