Microsoft has been shying away from PF's for years.  When it happens, it'll be a happy day.   But I may be retired by then if I eat right and continue to exercise and get plenty of sleep. :)

Between Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 200x there was a major change to the way that permissions for folders were enacted. It's one of the hardest parts of an upgrade because the acl's were changed from the proprietary 5.5 to the AD type of acl's (pTagAcl if I recall correctly).  For those in mixed environments, that creates all kinds of difficulty.  It also impacts the sizing of servers and speed of migration because the store has to convert those acls on all folders (not just pf's). In the early part of the lifecycle, there were a lot of issues around this where the store didn't deal with errors very well.

At the same time, there was a change to prevent administrative accounts from being able to logon to people's mailboxes.  One of the biggest complaints was that administration and mailbox rights were too loose.  Not that it changed a whole lot for the better, but you do have to work at allowing privileged account to be able to access other mailboxes than it's own.

What you're seeing is odd and you may be looking too deep for what you want to accomplish. The deep layer you're looking at might eplain why you are seeing the mapi ace missing.

The rights should be associated with the AD Account and not the mailbox (that was another change that precipitated the change to the AD acl style from the old 5.5 acl style).  Because you're having to use MAPI, you have to have the MAPI expected pieces in line in order to effect the changes you want.  This infers (although I can't remember if this the case) that you have a translation going on. That's messy.

Have your admins use the administrator interface for public folders vs. the mapi interface.  There's no reason to mailbox enable the administrative accounts (not for this anyway).

Al