From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Charlie Kaiser
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:32 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: DNS setup questions

OK; my Google-fu isn't working well today, and it's been a while since I had to
do any advanced DNS work. Too much BPM work, not enough AD admin lately...

Here's the scenario:

Our domain: W2K3 functional level single-domain forest using AD-integrated DNS,
secure updates only
Partner domain: W2K3 functional level single-domain forest using BIND DNS.

We are planning to establish a trust between the domains. We need to set up DNS
so that both domains can resolve at minimum SRV records to keep the trust
working and allow member enumeration for selective auth setup.
IIRC, we need to create secondary zones in each domain pointing to the other
domain, and on the W2K3 side, add the BIND servers to the nameservers tab,
right? Anything else I need to do on the W2K3 DNS side? I really think I'm
missing something here, but I can't find any information with the answers I
need...

Also, if I allow zone transfers to the other domain's DNS IP addresses, what's
to prevent them from setting up something other than a secondary server? I know
AD integrated won't allow another AD integrated DNS server outside the current
domain, but I just want to make sure I don't leave anything insecure...

Thanks...