Besides significantly increasing the likelihood of people logging onto the
wrong domain and generating support calls along the lines of "where's my
stuff?"

Not really. AD accommodates the same name in multiple domains, as long as
the UPNs are different (which they are, or account creation would have
failed).

Why doesn't the other SA just let people use their regular accounts?

Laura