There is a fix for this. I'm pretty sure it's public at this point.

Don't ask me the KB/patchid. It's too late on the east coast after I've
already started having a few....

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:03 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: DL is this to be expected?

Yes actually it is if you are talking about Exchange DLs...

Consider how email is marked when it comes from an Exchange DL... It
isn't
coming from the DL, it is coming from the user who specified the DL as
an
address... The DL is simply used for routing and hiding the TO: list
from
immediate view... It isn't like say this listserv where the messages
come
FROM the actual DL. If I recall correctly, Exchange actually expands the
group every time it processes the rule for every single message you
receive
and there is no caching of that expansion...

You actually need to be quite careful with this, I reported this as a
bug to
MSFT some time ago as I watched a series of rules like that that about
took
out a very high end high perf Exchange server that was scaled to support
about 4000 users which only had about 100 on it... If you want to play
with
it, select some HUGE DL you have, like say an everyone in the company DL
and
set up a couple of server side rules with that DL. Early last year in
some
testing I was able to actually cause mail delivery in a production
enterprise class environment to be slowed down by hours doing that...
Even
if I sent a message to myself...

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm