Man if it were me I'd try to get up to XP sp2. Vista is a bit bleeding edge and many of my LOB stuff isn't ready yet...but 2000... most of the zero day stuff works very nicely on that platform.

Graham Turner wrote:
Darren, thanks as ever 4 post reply

this confirms my thoughts / fears !!

vista, looks interesting - stuck with Windows 2000 for now

i guess we will need to stuff enough of the settings that we need to get the
computers to some sort of functional state into local group policy.

the big one for me is a user startup script - presumably we can put this into a
local startup script that is functionally equiv to the group policy startup
script

GT

ps did try to subscribe to gpoguy.com mail list last night but nothing back
from the
request - ??

Hey, since when is GP not related to AD? GP is the reason AD is so
popular... Anyone shoots you down for it, they'll have to answer to the
gpoguy :-)

In Win2K, XP, and 2003, if there is no connectivity to a DC when computer
*foreground* processing occurs (this is the processing that occurs at
computer startup) then GP processing simply fails. After that, you're
correct to say that during the next scheduled background processing cycle,
GP will refresh. This could be as long as 120 minutes (90 minutes plus up to
30 minute randomized value). Note that you can reduce this background
interval to as low as every 7 seconds (not that you'd want to) via policy.
However, its important to note that some policy requires a foreground
processing cycle (software installation or startup scripts in some cases
come to mind) so if the DC is never available during boot, these policies
will never process.

Now, Vista does something new. Vista has something called an "NLA refresh"
(well that's what I call it). Vista uses an entirely different, and more
dynamic mechanism for detecting the presence of a DC. What Vista says with
respect to GP refresh is, "if the last GP processing cycle failed, then as
soon as I detect that the DC is back online, I will trigger a background
policy refresh". So, it doesn't help with the foreground issues stated
above, but does significantly reduce the refresh time of up to 120 minutes.
Hope that helps.

Darren

Darren Mar-Elia
For comprehensive Windows Group Policy Information, check out www.gpoguy.com
-- the best source for GPO FAQs, video training, tools and whitepapers. Also
check out the Windows Group Policy Guide, the definitive resource for Group
Policy information.

Group Policy Management solutions at www.sdmsoftware.com