I did pick this up somewhere....

From what I understand on native INTEL E2K7 systems that utilise >8GB of RAM
the servers suffer performance issues and the AMD chipset is the prefered
choice for a lot of early adopters due to this issue - at VMWorld I could not
get an answer on whether VMWare machines would suffer the same issue.

The AMD techie stated that E2K7 was compiled on AMD too.

A little of the original post I know but I found it interesting.

Regards,

Mark Parris

Base IT Ltd
Active Directory Consultancy
Tel +44(0)7801 690596

-----Original Message-----
From: "Wells, James Arthur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:41:44
To:<ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: Exchange 2007 and W2K3 R2 DC's on ESX - Optimal
lab system

We're struggling with the same questions right now - one difference is the
large amount of L2 cache on the Dual-core option for the 2900.  At any
rate...there was an internal benchmark regarding dual vs. quad cores with ESX 3
recently made available by Dell, but I'm not sure on its availability -
ask your Dell TAM.

As far as price goes -- today, there's a big price difference between a single
quad or two dual core CPUs, for the ESX licensing.  But there's a strong rumor
that EMC/VMWare will begin charging their licensing per CORE in Q1 2007.  So
that puts you back to square one on your decision, if true.

But if buying today, the quad will be cheaper on ESX licensing by 50%...

--James