  From: Al Mulnick
  To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
  Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 8:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] mailNickName(OT)

  Other than being used for access by other protocols such as pop, imap, and
owa, last I checked it's also the value used for the x.400 like address which
is used for mail delivery internally by Exchange.  You wouldn't want that to be
non-unique else you might have to call somebody like joe to come in and help
clean up :)

  I'm surprised that this company you're at has not gone to unique values for
this.  I'm equally surprised they don't have other issues with their Exchange
deployment, but it's possible you haven't gotten far enough into it yet to
notice some of them.

  I've blogged about my thoughts regarding what should be globally unique in an
AD/Exchange environment.  It's a long enough blog it may even be a good
candidate for an essay or possibly a sleep aid.

  If you want the details, have a read.  The short answer is that you want
every user to be unique and to have a consistent and trouble-free experience.
That keeps you from being up late at night with international customers first
and your local in-country customers the next day. Mailnickname is one of the
attributes that should be unique same as samaccountname and smtp address (some
are enforced per forest, some per domain but all should be enforced regardless
in my opinion). Since they can often feed on one another, I maintan that
samaccountname should be the user's foundational, non-changing, never touched
as long as that person is a member of the company in good standing, network id.
Exchange relies on Active Directory and as such you're better following the
same rules .

  Al