Thanks for the excellent explanation !

Btw, I have just reproduced the same behavior on a test AD hosting 228 user
accounts with the following script:

On Error Resume Next

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

arrComputers = Array(".")
For Each strComputer In arrComputers
   WScript.Echo
   WScript.Echo "=========================================="
   WScript.Echo "Computer: " & strComputer
   WScript.Echo "=========================================="

   Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
   Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_Account where
LocalAccount=True and SIDType=1", "WQL", _
                                          wbemFlagReturnImmediately +
wbemFlagForwardOnly)

   For Each objItem In colItems
      WScript.Echo "AccountType: " & objItem.AccountType
      WScript.Echo "Caption: " & objItem.Caption
      WScript.Echo "Domain: " & objItem.Domain
      WScript.Echo "FullName: " & objItem.FullName
      WScript.Echo "LocalAccount: " & objItem.LocalAccount
      WScript.Echo "SIDType: " & objItem.SIDType
      WScript.Echo
   Next
Next

The script has been running now for 20 minutes with CPU at 100%. The hardware
is a decent workstation 2.66GHz with 1GB of RAM and is not doing much other
than being a DC in a test lab.
If you ask me, it smells like a potential DoS if the script was to be executed
against all the DCs in the enterprise...

I have opened a case with Premier to make it official - our client does want
that specific extension and insists on a fix (and I totally agree with him -
avoiding the use of the class will not remedy the implications of being slammed
by a query like this).

Thanks,
Guy