We just did it,

In transition period, we saw clients wandering over WAN links, and not
connecting to DC in same renamed site, after restarting the DC, clients
returned back to renamed site DC.[1]

Procedure:
1. Rename the site
2. Verify it is replicated to all DCs in that site
3. Restart DCs one by one,
4) After restart verify that DC is publishing the SRV records under new
sitename, and has changed its sitename, (DynamicSiteName value in registry),
or nltest /dsgetsite
5. And if needed restart all the machines in that site.

--
Kamlesh

[1] No this is not the issue, for which I have a open question in the list.