Thanks Steve,

We don't really have a branch office scenario here, so the only reason I
might use data replication is to help with the initial migration of data
from old servers to new servers.  After that, my hope is that we can use
SAN mirror copies to achieve the data replication.

I think the best way to view this design is that we want the logical
layer to be as abstracted as possible from the physical data as
possible.  Even setting up a replication schedule will have some ties to
the physical data.

The domain based DFS is to provide high availability and failover for
file services to MSFT clients.  Layering it into a standalone DFS, is to
allow MSFT clients to access that data using a Mac or Unix host.
Basically the Standalone DFS is a service layer network interface for
Macs and Unix.  Yes the path will change slightly.  But it is
forgivable.  Also my hope is that this also gives me flexibility to
disable SMB signing if needed, etc.  And not require the UNIX or AD host
to bind to the AD.

On the issue of last write, we plan to use Sharepoint in the future for
collaborative services.  We would love to be able to tie in home
directories, and department shares into this as well... but it might be
better to have a separation of these functions too.

More to come...

Todd Myrick