________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thommes,
Michael M.
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 4:31 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] OT: help with running a scheduled job

We are trying to get a particular account to run a scheduled backup job
on a server.  Our results are puzzling.  Here are the particulars:

2003 R2 standard server

Domain account, non privileged, doesn't belong to "domain users"

Added to local "backup operators" group

Trying to run a system state backup job through a scheduled batch (.bat)
file

File permissions appear to be ok in file system where batch file is
located.

Results:

When run from a remote "scheduled tasks/run" (without the user logged
into the server):

a scheduled job with the user's credentials specifying an "ipconfig"
command works.

a scheduled job with the user's credentials specifying "notepad.exe"
works.

a scheduled job with the user's credentials calling a batch file (.bat)
which runs ntbackup.exe FAILS with (from SchedLgU.txt):

"test.job" (simple.bat) 12/13/2006 5:50:08 PM ** ERROR **

            Unable to start task.

            The specific error is:

            0x80070005: Access is denied.

            Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the
application.

All the jobs run successfully from a remote "scheduled tasks/run"
environment if the user is in the local administrators group.

When the user is only in the local Backup Operators group, all the jobs
run successfully from a remote "scheduled tasks/run" environment when
this account is logged into the server/console!  They can also be run
successfully locally by the user.  Note this same user got an "Access is
denied" previously.

We checked through the local security policy thinking it could be
related to "User Rights assignments" or "Security Options" but did not
see anything there.  I think we're missing something really simple here,
but it's eluding us.   Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mike Thommes