Nope, we haven't delegated the rights to anyone else. We are a single
forest farm that hasn't done a schema update with the current staff so I
doubt they even know what the groups are for. They saw that Administrator
was a member of those groups, didn't know what they were for, and said to
disable them. This is the problem with SOX and similar setups, the
auditors and people making decisions based on their findings are often not
the people best equipped to make the decisions from a technical
standpoint. Regardless I found the list of built in accounts and groups
and a reference from an outside authority (article in ITPro) stating that
the built in groups can not be deleted, so I think I have enough ammo to
push back =)

Thanks,
Andrew Fidel

"joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
12/23/2006 01:49 PM
Please respond to
ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org

<ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [ActiveDir] Built in Security groups

Yep the reference is Error Code 0x55B (1371) in winerror.h....

ERROR_SPECIAL_ACCOUNT
# Cannot perform this operation on built-in accounts.

An alternate reference is

"isCriticalSystemObject: TRUE"

Send back up to the above that they should be setting overall generic
security policies and the technical people should be figuring out how to
interpret them. Telling you to delete certain groups is deeper into the
details than they likely should be based on this requirement.

Course my response probably would have been a chuckle or two and "Yeah
I'll get right on that...". ;o)

The basic concept is silly. Correct me if I am wrong but I am guessing you
have delegated the same rights to other groups so they feel that leaving
the original groups is a security issue? Obviously this is silly on the
surface and actually at any level. Any group that has the same rights
represents the same security risk. I wouldn't even bother taking the
schema admins group and delegated those rights to some other group I made,
I don't see the point and I could visualize tools that will actually break
if you did that because they may look at the token or directory to verify
someone is a member of that group directly to continue on.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm