It worked. Thanks a million. Hopefully my hair won't take to long to grow back.

I bought your book last week from amazon. I currently reading chapter 3.
Actually took your example code. See 3.13.vb. Isn't that funny?

I thought DirectoryServices was a wrapper to ADSI? Why do you say they are not
equivalent?

They aren't equivalent.  Try using the .Value property instead:

user.Properties("description").Value = xxxx

Description is a funny property in AD in that the schema says that it allows
multiple values, but the DS itself will only allow it to contain a single
value for backward compatibility with previous DS APIs.  That might be part
of the problem here.

In any event, it is generally always good practice to use the .Value
property to set a single value.  There is  more info on this in ch 6 of our
book (www.directoryprogramming.net).

Joe K.