On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:13:33 +1100
"Ken Schaefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what NTLM SSO Pass-Through is, but NTLM is not natively
> delegatable, so you can't (in the normal course of events) use this to create
> an account anywhere except on the local machine. There may be easier ways to
> create accounts on local machines.

Perhaps "proxy" would be a better term. When the web client requests the
challenge you request it from the target server (e.g. the DC) and send
it back to the client. When the client sends the password hashes you
send them to the target server. So the web client doesn't authenticate
with the web server it authenticates directly with the target server by
proxying the NTLMSSP tokens.

This is effectively a man-in-the-middle attack. Digital signatures are
used to twart an MITM so if you require SMB signing you can prevent such
an attack (although if you can authenticate LDAP with NTLM you might be
able to get around that).

Actually now that I think about it I think W2K3 requires SMB signing so
maybe this permutation wouldn't work. But workstations do not require
SMB signing. One could authenticate back to the client and place and
create an account or simply place an executable in their Startup.

But again, if you're already trusted on the network it's game over.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SSO