I agree with all that. In a pure Stomp world, content-type is a very
useful header and probably affect how the stomp client processes the
message.

Whatever the default rule is for Stomp <-> JMS I'd have thought most
JMS providers would (through configuration or implementation) probably
use that to make a sensible choice over Text v Bytes - even if it may
break backward compatibility. (It should be trivial to configure
backwards compatibility - everything is BytesMessage if folks really
care)

On 6/13/06, Brian McCallister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jun 13, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Mittler, Nathan wrote:

> James,
> I think that's what we're proposing here.  I proposed "amq-msg-type",
> but I suppose "content-type" is just as good.  I think Brian's main
> concern (Brian, correct me if I'm wrong) is that he'd like the mapping
> of stomp message to AMQ message type to be pluggable, not hard-coded.

Actually, my first choice would be hard coded to bytes message,
period, finished =)

We cannot do this without breaking backwards compatibility, which I
have been presuming we don't want to do.

The most important thing, to me, when mapping from Stomp to JMS is to
have it be very predictable. I don't want to ever have someone have a
JMS client listening for stuff from Stomp and having to guess at the
message type. As such, the default should be "it is X." If they need
some other mapping, I would suggest that they look at some kind of
transformer service which republishes messages.

If we are going to have more complicated mapping, I want to either
make it super crippled: a default "compatibility mode" and a strong
recommended "5.0 mode." The next step is to make mapping pluggable,
but don't make a big deal out of it. As ben Laurie would say, a
European style API.

That is the external point of view. For the internal point of view,
the cleanest implementation I can think of is to have an interface
which takes a Send (or something like) and returns an ActiveMQMessage.

I am quite strongly against using using application level metadata
(which content-type is in Stomp and JMSType is in JMS) for mapping
information. I am also quite against every client having to specify
what to map the message to as the client should be able to be
independent of the particular implementation. I think it is a very
bad idea to require the client to add the mapping to every message.

-Brian

--

James
-------