Title: RE: Why is PHP popular?

Yes, I feel I know perl well enough to make money with it... Although my skill set it not dedicated to PERL it is just another language in the list. For me perl is a tool to assist in Server Administration and not a primary source for my income.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Schueler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 9:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why is PHP popular?

OK.  I've got my own newbie question:  How can a Perl programmer with
many years of Web development experience feed himself and his family?

In this post-DotCom-bust world, all of my potential business is jobbed to
inhouse or agency Art Directors.  Art Directors use programmers as a
last resort.  They live off those free throwaway scripts as much as they
rely on stock photography (but without the royalties) and usually
discourage the customer from spec'ing anything more technically advanced.

In the interest of improving my appeal to the Art Director market, I'm
reconsidering my long-time practice of in-lining code.  Art Directors hate
inline code because the programmer controls the final deliverable.

So regarding Mr. Friberg's recommendation below, I'd be more interested in
an alternative to yet-another-scripting-language that does away with inline
code altogether.  If there's enough interest, I can probably justify a
reasonable investment of time.  On the other hand, I'd be just as happy if
someone has an easy answer to the above question.

Jim Schueler
http://www.tqis.com/

Robert Friberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had the sad opportunity to work with PHP on a
> few small projects.
>
> PHP as a language is seriously flawed, yet it
> is very popular and widespread. I believe this
> is due to the concept of inlining the code
> directly, as also with ASP and JSP.
>
> If the perl community had had an equivalent
> and pushed for it up front then a weed like
> php would probably never have emerged.
>
> I wonder if it's too late for that now?
>
> Apache::ASP is a candidate, www.apache-asp.org,
> but needs mod_perl so installation is too
> complicated for many.
>
> The installation should be a no-brainer:
>
>   - Drop the .so/.dll into *this* directory
>   - Add *these* 4 lines to httpd.conf
>   - Put code between <% %> -tags in a file
>     with a .psp extension
>
> mvh,
> #  Robert Friberg     perl,java,xml,uml,sql,delphi,
> #  Systemutvecklare   c/c++,vb,php,linux,apache
> #  0733-839080
> #
> #  Ensofus AB         linuxservrar,serverhosting,
> #  www.ensofus.se     internetsystem, Miljö Online

Even the safest course is fraught with peril.