> Top posting means that the order of posts being added remains clear and
that the most recent addition is that the top - useful is the post is
being followed. I have Outlook set up to add > to previous messages which
works fine if everyone posts plain text messages (surely breaking this
rule is a much mroe heinous crime?) and uses the same policy.

Right - Bill is a cranky so-and-so but he's really good and helpful.  He
just has very, very strong opinions. The point is that there is a lot of a
lot of junk left over in unedited msgs and 'flow' that is, in a time
sense, while in the eye of the beholder, is going to be apparent in a top
to bottom setup.  See the question, see the response see the response to
the response.

 Top or bottom, use the mouse and delete everything that's not relevant. I
usually do a bare Reply (No History - we've got Notes, which is as
bad/worse than LookOut (except for that attachment ;-) and then cutnpaste
the appropriate sections into my blank msg.  Oh, heavens yes, takes all of
4 seconds - and, usually, I try to the read the whole dang thing to be
sure its vaguely coherent.

> However top posters are not necessarily lazy - I have never come accross
this being an issue before and did not see it buried in the small print on
the active perl site - so should not be villified in such a manner.

And I mean no offense, but you've not been around to too many places,
email list-wise. This is a painfully hot topic (akin to best editor, er
best language (safe here on that but ...) etc.) and we all need to get on
w/ the perl stuff and just drop the rest of it.  Have a little concern for
your fellow readers and cut out the junk that's no longer germane to your
reply.  If you must top post - well, most of us will get over it, but
you'll be a much better netizen if you'll use your mouse to clear out
what's no longer part of the topic.  We all can go back and follow the
thread, so just keep what you're talking about.

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5932

" History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of
social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the
appalling silence of the good people. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.