Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bob Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: zhuyunchuan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re:  Activepython run slowly on win2000 advanced server but fast o
    n win2000 professional

This is a stab in the dark, but if you look in the archives, you'll see
a thread describing a mysterious case of slow Python startup on one of
our servers, which we finally tracked down to a misconfiguration of the
virus checking software, which was set to scan reads as well as writes
to the file system.  As soon as we fixed McAfee's setting so it wasn't
checking every read operation the problem disappeared.

Hope this helps.

[Standard disclaimer for the mailing list style police: I normally
append my replies in a thread to the end of that thread (or intersperse
my comments in with the portions of the thread which I am quoting), but
when I contribute to a thread which does not approach replies this way I
adapt my reply style to match that of the existing thread.  Please don't
bother spamming me with attempts to convince me that making this
accomodation is evil, because you'll just end up in my killfile.]

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, zhuyunchuan wrote:

> I checked the 'task manager' and found out that the thread 'python' got
> MEM very slowly, almost 200K MEM/sec, while others got whole memory it
> need immediately
>
> Sander Steffann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I suspect this is disk-related. Maybe the first machine's disk is much
> > slower, or it might be fragmented. It could also be that you run
> > services on the 1st machine that use so much memory that the machine
> > starts swapping.

[Other information about slow Python startup on one particular machine
snipped.]

--
Bob Kline
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]