> with :float works even if I am surprised that round the value using
:decimal

I think you'll need to specify a scale and precision if you want to use
:decimal. Here's an example:
      t.decimal :latitude, :precision => 20, :scale => 15
      t.decimal :longitude, :precision => 20, :scale => 15

That's probably why it get rounded. See
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/ConnectionAdapters/TableDefinition.htmlfor
the ranges of precision and scale depending on your DB.

cheers!

-- Thibaut