This is covered in our Business Expenditures policy:
http://wwwp.oakland.edu/policies/business-and-finance/207/

*4.  Sponsorships:*  Direct or indirect financial support of outside events
paid using University funds must advance the strategic goal of the
University and must be approved by an Executive Officer (Development and
Alumni Relations should be informed to help coordinate University sponsored
events).  Support for outside events where elected officials are
participants is not prohibited if in compliance with the appropriate
Federal and Michigan campaign finance and lobby acts and approved by the
Office of Government and Community Relations.

--
Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer