[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> In a message dated Fri, 21 Sep 2001  9:22:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, David Kimdon 
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > It looks like for some reason the kernel didn't detect your cdrom.  What
> > sort of cdrom is it? (ide?).

> It is an IDE drive. 

Actually, saying it's IDE doesn't say much.  Perhaps you mean its a
standard ATAPI?

Have you tried saying 'hdc=cdrom' (or whatever the device would be) as
a boot argument?

> I didn't see any evidence of the drive in the boot messages.  I also
> tried an old Red Hat boot disk and I *did* see a message about ide0,
> which I presume is the CD-ROM drive.

No, CD-ROM drives would come in as hd[abcdef] or whatever, unless I'm
mistaken.

> 
> 1. What should I try so that the kernel can detect my CD-ROM drive?

Boot arg as mentioned above.

> 2. Otherwise, can I install this old copy of Red Hat, then install
> Debian (potato) in its place, and, if so, how?

Not really suggested.

-- 
...Adam Di Carlo..<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>


-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to