I have heard the same story and think that it is possible that some road kills
are in fact badger baiters, or others covering their tracks. It would be
interesting for someone with access to the necessary facilities to carry out a
study of road kills to determine if the theory is likely to be true or false.

  There should be some sort of cordination throughout the various badger groups
across the country who might know how to obtain finance for such a project.

  The Hastings Badger Group got a lot of bad press due to harassing some
members of a housing estate. This caused one of the committee to try to disolve
it and write to the charities commission. He was in a terrible anxious state
and the behaviour within the society meant that I did not renew my
subscription. I think Hastings might be lacking a decent badger group.

  I never record dead badgers, or live badgers, or set locations due to fear
that the Government will get hold of the data, have a change of policy and
decide in conjunction with MAFF to eradicate badgers.  I do not support badger
culls, think it is short sighted and not benefical.

  All the best,
  Richard.

Robin Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Road kills do not necessarily show any external signs of injury. It would
be necessary to do a post mortem examination to look for subcutaneous
bruising (or gun shot wounds). Not sure how evidence of gassing would show
up; probably it would depend on the gas used.

Robin