Dear Stephen,

I knew about this last week as a lady that I work with mentioned how upset
she was by what she saw. I was able to forward this message to her, she was
delighted with the result as she thought it had been killed.

The Brighton and Hove Seafront staff were excellent and even provided an
inflatable boat to assist. One turned up on a quad bike and was on the
seafront protecting the seal from the crowds. It all seemed under control
until a man with a green van turned up. She watched the "rescue. He picked
the seal pup up by its tail before swinging it so that it landed in the
shade of the groyne. This resulted in the terrified animal escaping back
into the sea. Most likely, it was later retrieved by a normal (non Sussex
Wildlife Rescue) person and taken into Mallydams, probably exhausted and
close to death.

I asked her if the man with the van was a medic, she replied that, in her
opinion he did not behave in a very medical and caring way. When you say
joint rescue you probably mean that later a medic turned up for the second
rescue.

All the best,

Richard.