Hi all Adastrans

The ecological disaster at Warnham Millpond occurred when the millpond sluice
gate was opened (apparently prematurely), by Environment Agency personnel, and
could not be closed again.   This resulted in the Millpond being completely
drained.  Practically all the fish population and much of the surface layer of
silt was swept downstream towards the River Arun.   The ongoing works on the
dam are being carried out by Bam Nuttall, as contractors, to the order of the
Environment Agency and Horsham District Council.   The contractor requested a
50cm drop in the water level to facilitate their work.

Both EA and HDC have been conducting 'damage limitation' exercises, in the
media,  stressing that there was no flooding danger to properties downstream.
After such a catastrophic fish kill event, the procedure is apparently to count
the corpses.  In the first 200 yards from the sluicegate, I have heard that
over a thousand dead or dying fish, both mature and fry, were counted.   The
casualties continued to be seen for the next mile and a half to the confluence
of Boldings Brook with the River Arun and were 'too many to count'.   A few
fish were returned to the river, but it is likely that they would be suffocated
with silt and would not survive.

The impact on the Nature Reserve is enormous:  The effect is not only on the
fish: the entire food chain has been disrupted from the invertebrates and
micro-organisms in the silt to those that feed on them.    Even if the fish can
eventually be re-stocked,  there will be nothing for them to feed on.

We will try to keep the group updated on developments,  but at the moment, we
are completely devastated.

Neil Henry (Friends of Warnham Local Nature Reserve)