* "Radu-Adrian FEURDEAN" <ripe-...@radu-adrian.feurdean.net>

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015, at 11:09, Tore Anderson wrote:
> > Is there any urgency in getting closer to full exhaustion (i.e., no
> > remaining austerity pool)? Is full exhaustion somehow less painful than
> > the current status quo?
> >
> > I guess we can look at the ARIN region, as they'll reach that point in
> > the coming weeks. If that situation turns out to benefit their
> > community somehow (like increasing the IPv6 deployment rate), I'm
> > willing to be persuaded that we should open the floodgates and get rid
> > of our austerity pool ASAP. I'm sceptical this will be the case, though.
>
> I do think that it will push towards more serious IPv6 deployment
> (beyond "get the /29 or /32, announce it into the GRT, deployment
> successful").

If your goal is to get rid of the IPv4 austerity pool as quickly as
possible, that could be accomplished much more quickly and efficiently
than creating a "side pool" with associated rules for allocation. Some
possibilities:

* Re-instate additional allocations with "needs basis" and it'll be
  gone in a few weeks
* Return everything to IANA and decline further allocations from the
  Recovery pool
* Divide it up equally between all members and allocate everything at
  once
* Divide it up between all members based on the current amount of IPv4
  addresses held and allocate everything at once
* Divide it up equally between all members holding a five-star RIPENess
  rating and allocate it all at once
* Auction it all off to the highest bidder(s), use proceeds to reduce
  membership fees, give a cash return to members, or donate it to
  charity

IFF it could be demonstrated clearly that it would help further IPv6
deployment, I'd be willing to be persuaded into supporting a policy
proposal which leads to the rapid depletion of the austerity pool, thus
bringing us in line with ARIN.

Regarding the side pool idea specifically, an interesting post appeared
today on APNIC's policy list, which had the following to say about
their side pool:

«2. Status of IANA Recovered pool (non-103)
   - Will run out in next 7 months+
   - IANA may allocate additional space in every 6 months
   - This pool will repeatedly ‘run-out’ as IANA delegates more space
     and it is distributed by APNIC»

I don't think duplicating this in our region would be helpful at all.

> > > Reminder, we are 3 years (precisely) into the "last /8 IPocalypse", and
> > > RIPE still has more than 0.98 of a /8 available (more likely 0.99).
> >
> > And those three years we've delegated just shy of a /9:
>
> Which makes the "austerity pool" (I would rather call it "waste pool")
> available for about 5-6 more years.

In my opinion that would the optimal outcome, and precisely the reason
why I do not support creating a side austerity pool or changing the
allocation criteria for the main austerity pool at this point in time.

Tore