Dear colleagues,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

The part of the policy that I will propose to change is relatively small and should have limited impact on the other parts of the IPv6 policy. In alignment with the Address Policy WG co-chairs, I will now work on the actual policy proposal and aim to have it published before RIPE 93. I think that once the draft policy text is available, it will also be easier for the working group to discuss the merits of the proposed change.

Regarding the idea of a complete rewrite of the IPv6 policy and other policy documents, if the working group decides to take on such a task, the RIPE NCC would be happy to provide support. As such a rewrite would likely take quite some time, I still think it would be useful to discuss my proposal separately first. I believe the proposed change would provide some needed clarification around audits and policy compliance in the IPv6 policy. It would also bring the IPv6 policy more in line with the IPv4 policy for these topics, which could be also beneficial if there is ever an effort to create a single policy manual, as Remco suggested.

Kind regards,
Marco Schmidt
Manager Registration Services
RIPE NCC

On 08/09/2026 17:42, Remco van Mook wrote:
Hi Nick,

I think you're misreading my assessment as frustration. I'd applaud any and all 
incremental improvement to the current set of documents, with exactly the 
caveat James describes: even minor changes need the rigour of thinking through 
all implications, documented and undocumented.

The breakage you describe, and the tolerance involved, is something we're 
already living: we've just come to terms with it. We don't have text that 
unambiguously and consistently describes our current policies; we make it work 
by being incredibly nice people and letting the RIPE NCC absorb the ambiguity. 
That's not a stable arrangement, it's an undocumented dependency.

A straw man of what a single policy manual would look like (covering the policy 
stack, the NCC's interpretations, the NWIs, and harmonised terminology) would 
give us a scope of the potential breakage and its consequences, and give this 
working group something concrete to discuss and decide on. I understand that 
falls under your description of 'kitchen sink proposals', but at this point I'd 
like a picture of what a new kitchen would look like before we keep calling for 
the plumber to come in.

Your DB Task Force experience is, if anything, the argument for doing it this 
way: a small group went in with chainsaws revving and came out with a 
considered, evolutionary result, without burning PDP cycles to get there. I'd 
support chartering something similar for the policy manual question, and I'm 
willing to put time into it.

We're burning significant amounts of human capital and willingness to engage in 
the process. We don't have that much left to spend.

Remco

On 8 Sep 2026, at 15:56, Nick Hilliard <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Remco,

Frustration can be a good driver for change, but the question is: how high is 
everyone's tolerance for breakage, and who gets to put up with the consequences?

A couple of years ago, several of us started out in the DB Task Force with 
chain saws revving and ready for action, but we walked out with a strong sense 
that evolution was a better approach than revolution.

I don't think, incidentally, that there's a problem making smaller changes of 
the sort that Marco is proposing, and in fact changes like this are much needed 
and would be much appreciated. The reason I suggested breaking things out into 
separate updates is that kitchen sink proposals are often a nuisance to handle 
and non-contentious changes end up being blocked by other changes. This is not 
a good use of peoples' time or resources.

Nick

Remco van Mook wrote on 08/09/2026 14:05:
Hi all,

actually I'd argue the opposite (as I already did at AP during RIPE89: 
https://ripe89.ripe.net/wp-content/uploads/presentations/83-ripe-89-address-policy.pdf
  I think discussions in AP over the last years have shown that our current set 
of policies is now so hard to have a common understanding about and so hard to 
actually produce updates for, that I think we'd do very well to go and turn our 
current policy stack, how the NCC interprets those policies, the NWIs, and an 
all-over harmonisation of terms into a single consistent policy manual, ARIN 
style. It would also help us to finally get an actual definition of 
'assignment' in the IPv6 context.

If it's not feasible at this point to do a rewrite, waiting longer will 
certainly not make matters better. The observation that even minor changes have 
a chance to cause a major ripple in the reading of our current policy set 
demonstrates the predicament we're in. If seasoned policy experts have trouble 
getting this right at this point, how can we expect any newcomers to make a 
contribution?

Kind regards

Remco

On 8 Sep 2026, at 14:40, James Kennedy via address-policy-wg 
<[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected]> wrote:

As a general comment,
my inclination would either be to do a complete top-down rewrite of
specific documents, or else approach rewrites with changes only to small
areas. Otherwise you end up with the risk of minor changes derailing
other, and potentially more important, changes.
I tend to favour the latter. A complete top-down rewrite of RIPE policy 
documents sounds tempting but I'm not sure how feasible that would be in 
practice.

Either way, even minor changes must have their impact on existing policies 
properly identified and taken into account. On mitigating the risk of derailing 
other ongoing changes, I trust the WG chairs to coordinate that with the 
proposers :)

Best,
James


From: Nick Hilliard <[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected]>
To: "Marco Schmidt"<[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected]>
Cc: "[email protected]" 
<mailto:[email protected]><[email protected]> 
<mailto:[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2026 11:05:53 +0100
Subject: [address-policy-wg] Re: Feedback for potential policy proposal on IPv6

Marco Schmidt wrote on 08/09/2026 06:07:
The main points I raised were the lack of a general reference to the
audit procedure in the IPv6 policy, and the wording of the section
dealing with policy compliance and non-compliance, which has remained
unchanged since 2002 and might be difficult to understand without the
historical context.
for sure, the existing section of policy that you quoted is not well
written and doesn't look like it reflects how ipv6 address resources are
handled. It would benefit from a rewrite.

In terms of other RIPE policy document changes, there's no shortage of
material that could be improved: many of the documents are the product
of organic growth, and show all the signs of it. As a general comment,
my inclination would either be to do a complete top-down rewrite of
specific documents, or else approach rewrites with changes only to small
areas. Otherwise you end up with the risk of minor changes derailing
other, and potentially more important, changes.

Nick
-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: 
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the 
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings.
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/


-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: 
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the 
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings.
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/
-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: 
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the 
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings.
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/
-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: 
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the email matching your subscription before you can change your settings. More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/

Reply via email to